The Office of the Textile
Commissioner was established in 1943 during the Second World War period for arranging the
supply of cloth to the defence forces as well as civilian population.
After the end of World War II, the Textile Commissioner was given
the regulatory function of administering the prices, distribution
and control of certain varieties of cloth meant for civilian consumption
in the post-war conditions of scarcity.
However, over a period
of time this office has assumed a developmental role and has contributed
towards modernization and holistic all round growth of diversified and
broad based textile industry .
This office formulates and implements various schemes of the
Govt. in an industry friendly manner.
The major strength of this office lies in very strong, technical
and economic wing manned by professionally qualified and experienced
officers. In addition, this
office has wide reach through its 9 regional offices and 15 power loom
service centers located in major textile clusters. The regional offices
in co-ordination with head office are providing requisite technical
support to the industry particularly decectralised sector of the industry
in their endeavor to meet successfully
the challenges of the globalised economy.
This office through
its pro-active and industry friendly role